WEDNESDAY: Al Gore’s “Climate Reality Project” blows in to New Castle

SAB
Sustainability Advisory Board members will meet morning and evening commuters on Tuesday at the train station; see photos of student sustainability artwork in “Read more…” and in Photo Gallery
Monday, November 14, 2011
by Christine Yeres

To mark a week that celebrates “America Recycles Day” on November 15, the New Castle Sustainability Board has invited Jessica Haller, an environmental advocate with Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project, to visit Town Hall on WEDNESDAY, November 16 at 7:30 p.m., to engage the public—of all ages—in conversations about climate change and creating solutions.  Bring the family!

Founded and chaired by Al Gore, Nobel Laureate and former Vice President of the United States, The Climate Reality Project has more than five million members and supporters worldwide.

Check out http://climaterealityproject.org for more information.

logo

November 16th at 7:30 p.m.
200 S. Greeley Avenue
Chappaqua, N.Y.

The slideshow requires javascript and Flash

Comments(10):
We encourage civil, civic discourse. All comments are reviewed before publication to assure that this standard is met.

Please show editorial integrity and remind readers that there is a lot of professional doubt about the scientifitic veracity of Al Gore’s data and theories.

By alice on 11/14/2011 at 9:33 am

Alice,
Please show comment integrity and remind readers that 97% of climate scientists believe in the climate change theories that will be discussed on Wednesday.

I will definitely attend, can’t wait!

By Definitely going! on 11/14/2011 at 3:35 pm

I seem to remember some recent scandal concerning “climate scientists” in the UK regarding bad data, but nevermind all that. Let’s preserve the planet by all means, but I’m with Alice on this one. Recycling is fine, but it isn’t going to save the planet. Let’s educate our next generation of bright American engineers to come up with solutions to our energy needs. I don’t see any of us using less of it. Including Al Gore.

By egl on 11/15/2011 at 12:10 pm

It is fine to collect cans. I don’t know if it will save the world. I am still with Alice. Al Gore has a large carbon footprint if I remember correctly. Has he reduced it?

By egl on 11/15/2011 at 5:31 pm

Recycling is similar to light cigarettes. It enables you to keep doing the same thing, but you feel a little better about it.

We must move beyond recycling.

The world has only about five years to make a dramatic turnaround in policies if it is to avoid severe impacts of climate change, according to the International Energy Agency.

By time to wake up and do something! on 11/15/2011 at 9:51 pm

Why is it that critics of climate change and global warming caused by mankind constantly focus on Al Gore’s carbon footprint?  Do you truly believe that attempts to discredit the messenger add anything of substance to what’s left of this debate?  Since the scientific community overwhelmingly concludes that global warming is man made and can be slowed if concrete steps are rapidly taken, let’s get together and implement those measures that work and seek to find common ground in developing additional paths.  Fossil fuels will eventually go the way of the horse and buggy so we can either continue to support horse drawn carriages and whips or seek energy alternatives.

By In The Extreme on 11/16/2011 at 8:32 am

Taking the steps being advocated by Vice-President Gore, is like wearing seatbelts. If you get into a car accident and you were wearing your seatbelt and walked away from your car being totaled; did the seatbelt work? Or, were you just lucky! I like wearing my seatbelt, I just don’t like getting a ticket when I am not wearing it! This issue should be worked on at the same time that a NATIONAL ENERGY POLICY is WORKED ON !! We need a NATIONAL ENERGY POLICY that is reflected in the Internal Revenue Code! We need to spark small startups, and perhaps New Castle has commercial areas that can benefit from easy to obtain GRANT MONEY used towards such business start-ups. As for Vice-President Gore’s own Carbon Footprint; leave it alone, get this nasty mentality out of your mind and use your thoughts to SOLVE PROBLEMS!! Our Country is in TROUBLE, AND WE NEED TO SOLVE PROBLEMS. Vice-President Gore should consider running for PRESIDENT, at least he was one heartbeat away from the President who did a GREAT JOB in running our Country.

By Seatbelts PLEASE ! on 11/16/2011 at 5:34 pm

I’ll wear my seatbelt, I’ll recycle. I would prefer not to have questionable government mandates that will generate more taxes. I would also prefer not to have wasteful grants that will create more wasteful taxation. If you want to fund these efforts you may do so. I bring up the habits of the messenger because there is quite a bit of “do as I say, not as I do” that goes on in our society. I think it’s nasty to tell Alice to get her head out of the sand with an exclamation point. We all have our opinions. I’ll rest my case.

By egl on 11/17/2011 at 10:50 am

..As you cruse around town, alone or maybe with one child, in your SUVs, many of the massive caliper, returning your bag of newspapers and dozen cans to the recycling center, remember that the fact you’re drying in a car (truck) that is 2x what you need.

PS: Any energy you saved drying your recyclables are 100% or more offset by your 14 MPG car.

Folks in Chappaqua and Millwood just want to do a token ‘feel good’ energy saving effort, vs anything real or of substance.

If they really cared about this subject, they were get ride of one car, turn their heat down, rake their own leaves by hand, walk to the train station, let their kids play in the neighborhood vs driving them to 5 different ‘enrichment’ activities, and have equal amount of recyclable trash as regular, vs the token little blue container full.

It’s shameful.