Supervisor’s report on latest Town Board meeting
Saturday, July 26, 2014
~ from Supervisor Rob Greenstein
Editor’s Note: Yesterday Supervisor Rob Greenstein provided highlights of last Tuesday’s Town Board meeting in the Town’s e-newsletter. To sign up to receive the Town e-newsletter, click HERE.
• I first want to acknowledge that the Planning Board is working very hard on their comments regarding the Chappaqua Crossing application, and we look forward to hearing those comments. I believe another joint meeting with the Planning Board would be helpful and productive. This is the biggest application facing the town in decades and we must work together to get it right. [The public hearing on Chappaqua Crossing of July 22 was continued to Tuesday, August 12.]
• We heard a presentation from Ben Lieberman on distracting driving, a topic that unfortunately is of great importance to him since the tragic passing of his 19-year-old son Evan after a car accident caused by distracted driving. Evan’s parents have set up an organization to combat distracted driving known as “DORCs”—“Distracted Operators Risk Casualties.” DORCs is committed to changing behavior through educating the public, advocating for enforcement and fighting for legislation. Keep the DORCs off the road! Additionally, the entire Lieberman family has organized a non-profit called “Evan’s Team”, to raise funds and awareness for community concerns and issues. You can learn more about DORCs at http://www.dorcs.org
• We approved the Amendment of Chapter 123 of our Town Code to change the free parking in town from two (2) hours to three (3) hours.
• We approved the appointment of the following volunteers to the Mandate Relief Committee, each for a three year term:
Judy McGrath – Chair
James McCauley – Alternate
• We approved the upgrade of the Town’s NIXLE contract to add features which include the ability to publish a NIXLE feed on the website, social media integration, and geographic targeting.
• Congratulations to Mark Gallagher on his appointment to the position of Police Officer with the Town of New Castle Police Department.
• Congratulations to Police Officer Kelly Close on his promotion to the rank of Sergeant.