Turf project gets State Ed Dept approval, but needs another $250K
Monday, December 3, 2012
Editor’s Note: The Chappaqua Turf Committee members sent the following letter to community members, announcing that the State Department of Education has approved the Chappaqua Turf project, that $650,000 of the needed funds are procured and that $250,000 more is needed by December 10, 2012.
Dear Turf Supporter,
We are pleased to inform you that the NYS Department of Education has approved the Chappaqua Turf Project, and the Chappaqua Central School District is ready to begin the bidding process.
We are now at the moment of truth to raise the final funds in order to get the field built over the winter AND to have it in place for the spring season. We have raised approximately $750,000, spent $150,000 on engineering and project related expenses, and have a balance of $600,000. The revised cost of this first phase (turf only) is $850,000. Therefore, we are approximately $250,000 short of the projected amount we need to start.
After meeting with an active group of leaders involved in the turf campaign, it has become apparent that the only way we can achieve our goal is to reach out to a number of parties who have already stepped up and ask again for either more dollars, matching dollars or a loan that would be paid back by continued fundraising throughout the year for the installation of the lighting and scoreboard.
We know this is a lot to ask. But we are confident that once the field construction is underway, we will have the ability to broaden our base of support through events and other public awareness activities. You are receiving this email because you have been generous and are committed friends of this project who could help achieve the goal in the next ten days. We need everyone’s help, and we are at the point that friends calling friends for support is the only way we can make this work. We also recognize that you might not have the latest information so we are available to talk to each of you to bring you up to date as to where we stand.
If we do not raise the funds in the next ten days [by December 10], then we will have to wait another six months before we can start the project and it is our belief that this will hurt our fundraising efforts in a major way.
We NEED YOUR HELP. Please contact anyone from the committee in the next 24 hours to let us know if you are able and willing to help achieve our collective goal of building a much-needed turf field in Chappaqua.
The Chappaqua Turf Committee